Friday, March 30, 2007

Whiz Kid

If
Dogs
Could teach
Could we learn
All of the lessons
We need to be truly human?

Belle and I just returned from the U Vet Hospital where Belle was evaluated for the recurring UTI's (bladder infections) that she has been having. Belle met a wonderful new friend, Dr. Peggy Root Kustritz. And Belle surprised me yet again.

The exam that was done was invasive and painful for Belle. She whimpered and yelped through some of it, but when all was done - she went right up to Dr. Kustritz wiggling and happy - just wanting a scritch and to be told what a good girl she was. I don't know anyone, myself included, that would have responded so warmly to someone that had hurt me - even just a little.

But I'm learning that happy dogs like Belle can teach us humans some powerful lessons on human behavior. All the years of listening to Sunday sermons and catholic nuns couldn't convince me of the power of forgiveness like what I witnessed today. Come to think of it, there's still a few nuns I haven't yet forgiven. Guess I'll have to work on that. Just don't make me wriggle and squirm in front of them - I did enough of that in school to last a lifetime. And not one nun ever told me what a good girl I was. It must be because they never had a dog to teach them how to inspire others.

No comments: