Friday, April 20, 2007

Biscuits and Bones

Marie (the Wisconsin HP Outpost) made a batch of wonderful dog biscuits as a welcoming gift for my new puppy, Cody. Not only does Cody love them, Belle is wild about them. And that's saying something. Belle has never been the most food-motivated pup, preferring the company of people, dogs, or just plain freedom over a treat any day. These biscuits even worked when I asked Belle to get dressed when it was time to leave the tennis courts this morning. Wow!

Dog Biscuit Recipe (via Marie H. via Cathy D.)

1/4 C. peanut butter
1 T. vegetable oil
1 C. water
1 1/2 - 2 C. whole wheat flour
1 C. oatmeal

Preheat oven to 375°. Combine all ingredients, gradually adding flour until dough sticks together but doesn't flake. Roll dough to 1/4" thickness and cut using a dog bone cookie cutter. The smallest cookie cutter makes about two dozen bones. Bake at 375° for about 35 minutes.


(Note: I made the recipe, but instead of using a cookie cutter, I sliced the rolled dough into 1/4" cubes. I reduced baking time to 20 minutes. The biscuits aren't nearly as cute as the dog bones, but are a little easier to handle when working cues.)

Thanks, Marie and Cathy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lu, thanks for posting the recipe. I am always looking for treats that work for get dressed. I will also have to say thinks to Cathy D as I will have Hemi for a few days next week.

Lori

P.S. no questionable wheat gluten in those treats.

Speak(er) said...

Lori - I was also thinking it might be good to substitute no salt chicken or beef broth in place of the water. Just a thought!