Friday, May 25, 2007

Really Reliable Recall - Not!

You've probably all heard the quote from Vince Lombardi (in Packerville, protocol calls for a bowed head and a moment of silence to follow the reading of his name) that "practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." My efforts with Belle to make her really reliable recall well, really reliable, seem to be falling into the first part of the quote rather than the last. It seems like all we keep practicing is how not to come when called.

So it's back to the drawing board to figure out what "perfect practice" means for Belle and I to be successful with this skill. I've pulled out my Perfect Puppy lessons and I'm starting over. And to think I once thought that "do-overs" were only allowed in childhood games.

We're good enough, we're smart enough, and doggone it, we will achieve success because ol' Vince had another quote that says we will...

"A man (read woman and dog) can be as great as he (they) wants to be. If you (we) believe in yourself (ourselves) and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you (we) are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done."

Belle, I hope you're reading this. "Dodge Lu" is no longer a sanctioned sport.