Thursday, May 24, 2007

Peace

Yesterday, Belle and I attended our first funeral together. Lois Illg, mother of our board president, Nancy Driver, passed away unexpectedly last week-end. Nancy also serves as the caretaker home for Maisie - Belle's mom.

I didn't know Nancy's mother, but the pastor's homily made it clear where the inspiration comes for Nancy's drive for community service and volunteering. He told of Lois's passion for reading that she shared with the children of Horace Mann Elementary. Of how she saved her special favorite stories for those kids that did not yet cherish books. It was a beautiful service.

At times like this, words often fail me. The wish to ease the ache and loss struggles with the fear of saying the wrong thing. But building on the story of Lois's life, loves and service to her community it seems only fitting to share a quote from Danial Ladinsky that has meant so much to me when I have trouble getting past the loss and emptiness our loved ones leave behind when they begin their new journey beyond this life.

Even after all this time
The sun never says to the earth
"You owe Me"
Look what happens with a love like that -
It lights up the Whole Sky.

With her love, Lois lit the lives of many during her life - and like the rays of the sun, her life will still shine on in those who love and remember her best. My heartfelt sympathy, Nancy and Fred. I wish you peace as you continue to carry your mother's light.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lu:

Your presence with Belle meant the world to me. What a gift to have both of you there with us.

Nancy