Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Evaluation - Part II

In anticipation of pre-matching with potential partners, Belle left Monday for her second evaluation. The house is so quiet without her.

It's hard to believe that eight months have passed since Belle strutted her stuff for Lori - her first evaluator. I feel like we've made both great progress and none at all. Greetings and people are still Belle's greatest challenge. When Nancy arrived to pick her up for her evaluation, she wriggled and barked and spazzed and acted just like she did as a two month old puppy. Holding her back from a full out assault on Nancy took more strength than it should have.

I know Nancy will find her highly skilled. I know she will see some definite improvement in Belle's recall. But Thanksgiving taught me that I need to give Belle many more opportunities to meet and greet people on her home turf. We had a house full of people on Thanksgiving. Both Belle and Cody did great with all the hoopla and food, but while Cody was allowed free roam, I kept Belle tethered to me or to Molly the whole day. It was the only way I could be sure that she wouldn't make mistakes - either in her enthusiasm to give kisses, or in passing the hors d'oeuvre trays without helping herself.

I know what Belle needs - practice. But that means I will have to step out of my introvert ways and invite more people, more often to come and visit us. I can do it.

No comments: